Saturday, May 23, 2015

What's it like to own a modified sports car?

A question that comes up but doesn't really come up is: What's it like to own a modified sports car?

Now, the more interesting thing is, as a girl, what is it like owning a modified sports car? This should be interesting. And I'll tell you why. There are different classification of "girl modifiers": one who modify their cars themselves, one who goes to a shop or a friend's shop and they help modify her car, or one who does all that and ENTERS car competitions. Those are the hardcore enthusiasts. Then there are the ones who modify it to some degree, and then just uses it as a daily drive. That's me.

The aftermarket parts for the 2010-2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe has definitely grown over the years. When the GC first came out, there was really nothing. All the parts that came out at first were either a hit or miss. As in, the bumpers or side skirts didn't fit properly so you would have to cut it or trim it down until it fits. Tunes were not available yet, although one of the first tunes that came out was SFR (Seoul For Racing) by Jay. People didn't really know much back then but decided to try out the tune. It was alright at first, but after a while is when the tune started having problems. Then I learned the tuning map was not exactly completed. The map was, you could say..."stolen" from the crew of BTR. Some drama happened and one guy didn't like the other so he took the other guy's tuning map and made it his own. Or that's according to what some people have said. Who knows. Let's just say once again that the car community is full of over dramatic people who you should not waste your time on.

The GC community back then was pretty small and not many meets occurred but when they did, it was nice to meet everyone and remember everyone's names. Sadly over half the people that I've met at that first GC meet back in 2010 either sold their coupes or moved on. Back then, I was not quite interested in modding the coupe. There were lots of unknowns and not enough resources to do it.

Fast forward to 2013. After a terrible break up, I needed something to focus on. And that's where the modifications happened. It all started with a glossy black vinyl roof by ReStyleIt. Something simple. Then someone decided they didn't want their aftermarket tires and rims anymore so I bought it off of him. I saw that the diameter was not quite right. It made a huge gaping hole in the fender. You could literally put your entire fist (or two) in there. So I looked for some springs and got the Eibach Pros. Now it looked better. As for under the engine, a used blow off valve and an AEM intake occurred quick. Then some side skirts that a friend sold to me after his coupe was totaled in an accident. But it couldn't be completed without...a front lip! So got one ordered. Then the 2013 tail lights along with the front headlights that were modified were bought off a friend. This all happened within half a year. Although they were mostly used parts, the bill piled up.

Now for the last batch of modifications, the main focus now was on performance. I had on all the glam, but there was no go. So off I went to get a custom exhaust and intercooler with pipings (which I had already written below on my experience with that particular company). Then the tune to finish it off.

After the tune, I told myself no more mods. It's a waste, and what I've learned too is that once you start messing around with stock parts and putting non stock parts on, your car is not really the same anymore. If there is a problem, you have to fix it. And modified cars have problems alright. The Eibach springs that were on the car destroyed my shocks. So coilovers were ordered and put on. The front lip scraped a curb, damaging the lip, bumper and broke some clips underneath. So the lip has to be sent in for repairs, repainted and new bumper ordered. The side skirts eventually cracked and was hanging by a thread. So new side skirt is on the way. There is never a "I'm completely done!" moment because from now on, it's all about maintenance and fixing the stuff that wasn't done properly in the first place.

So, what is it like from a girl's perspective? It has its moments. I noticed a lot of young guys would try to race or just drive very aggressively around me when I'm just minding my own business. They think I'm some dude that looks for pink slips all night. Neighbours think I own a F-18 Hornet. Every time I start her up, they look and give this weird look. Thankfully the exhaust has quieted down. But it still gives a nice echo in the underground parking. I still get stares. Or the cop that pulled me over that one time. She was probably expecting some young punk but instead saw me and had a triple take. Got a warning and sent me away. I'm thankful for window tints. At least people won't see me picking my nose.

What is it like maintaining a modified coupe? Probably more expensive than a stock one. Not only do you have to worry about regular maintenance for oil, transmission, brakes etc but you also have to worry about your modified parts not falling apart, breaking or worst case: having those mods blow up your engine. The car is capable within its means but if you push it past its limit, of course it will struggle to balance all that out perfectly. Thankfully the coupe is not heavily modified and the only regular maintenance I've had is regular oil changes, but otherwise it's a matter of taking care of the car like it's your house or something. If you neglect it, the result will show. If you work hard to take care of it and maintain it well, it will show positively to those around you as well.

I was dropping off my girl friend from work the other night and taking my time cruising in the neighbourhood when a TSX appeared out of no where and tailgated me. Then zoomed past me at high speed. I was going 40km/hr so it wasn't like I was asking him to race. I caught up to him at the lights, and he motioned for me to roll down my window. And here is our convo:

Him: Are you mad?
Me: Mad? Naaaaaahhh.
Him: I seriously did not know you're a girl. Did not expect that at all.
Me: Yeah, I get that a lot.
Him: You have a nice car!
Me: Thanks! I like yours too. Very reliable.
Him: Nah my car is crap compared to yours. But it'll do for now.
*Light about to turn green*
Him: I guess you are turning left, I'm going straight. I'll see you around!
Me: Yes, you too and drive safe!

What's the point of this? Point is, there are douchebags everywhere in the car community. It's all about how you react to situations. If I was a mad sap and rolled up to him at the lights and started swearing and cussing him out, I'll be damned. I'm not saying what he did by tailgating me was right. People tail gate all the time. Main thing is, how you react to it. Most people think modified coupe owners are drug addicts or are bad people. But if you react the way that a drug addict would when it comes to basic situations like these, then of course people are going to think just that.

Would I modify my cars in the future? Maybe just a tune. And that's about it. Some people say as a true enthusiast, you will always modify your car. But I don't believe that. A true enthusiast is very general. You've got modifiers, tuners, and drivers. If you are a true driving enthusiast, you look for a car that is capable of providing perfect power to weight ratio and you don't even have to modify it. You appreciate the engineering behind it and you enjoy it. If you are more into modifications and tunes to make your car go faster, then you are a tuner enthusiast. But saying "true enthusiast" is bland. It doesn't mean anything.

Do I regret modifying the Genesis? Partially yeah. To turn it all back to stock now would be a lot of work. So I left it as is. And just enjoy the ride as much as I can, before the next car arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.