Sunday, December 18, 2016

Happiness?

Wow. 1 more week until Christmas 2016. This is surreal. Time really does fly.

We spend months planning for this day, and it will come and go so fast. Then it's 2017. Where has the time gone?! (And don't mind, my ideas are running wild now, so I'll just type as I go along so it might not flow smoothly, but hopefully it will give you some food for thought).

I don't know about you, but Christmas has not been the same since M passed away last year, which was right before Christmas. A couple of weeks before the anniversary date of when we adopted him. To me, the "Christmas prep weeks" have been pretty tough, and my tradition of buying gifts for people have basically gone to zero. It literally took a nosedive. 

And the thing is..I don't feel bad about it. I don't feel anything actually. It's not because I'm selfish, but probably because I'm still in the middle of trying to accept everything. That I need to focus on my recovery, before I can bring "happiness" to other people.

I try to bring happiness to my family and little nieces, by giving them little things to make them happy. But otherwise, Christmas will never be the same for me.

These days, people look at Christmas as another consumerism event, just like Black Friday. The trips to shopping malls or online buying has gone so far up compared to what it was 30 years ago. The stress of having to buy things for other people in order to get approval from them, or get a raise, or just...make them happy. But the ideology of trying to get the "best gift in the world" has created this entitlement feeling in people.

These days, the younger generation feel that they are entitled to the most expensive gift. Iphones. Ipads. Expensive handbags. Expensive gadgets. A car. A house. You name it. 

I blame social media and the media in general for this attitude. It is portrayed that if you have lots of money, and the most expensive material things, that it will bring happiness to your life. The "rub in your face" kind of attitude that I have everything and you have nothing, so my life is better than yours. Which makes Christmas shopping like a race, to see who can give the best gifts, or who gets the best gifts. 

First off, Christmas is not even about buying gifts. The foundation of Christmas is right in the name. Christ. The birth of Christ into this world, in order to bring salvation to everyone, to whomever believes. It is, in a way gift giving. The giving of life. The price to pay? The ultimate sacrifice of Christ on the cross, when people ridiculed him for being God in human form. This never changes. It will always remain Christmas in this historical context.

However, our ideology of Christmas has definitely changed. We have thrown out the "Christ" in Christmas and replaced it with gifts. Material gifts. Gifts that only last for a few months, or years, but will never last with us when we die. It's temporary. And this results in temporary happiness. Nothing in Christmas shopping or gift giving has any reflection of what Christmas is really about: Christ.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy gifts for your loved ones. I'm just emphasizing that it shouldn't be the TOP PRIORITY of Christmas. The top priority should be Christ, and the true meaning of it, and celebrating it with your family and friends. 

They say the number of shoppers this year have declined in the past few years. That could be due to the price increase of rent, which equals price increase in products, but with no pay cheque increase in consumers, there are less people buying because they can't afford to. Now, that's just generalization but it is also pretty true overall. Or people just turn to online shopping because it's way easier, and with longer work hours, who has time to hit the shopping malls?

I definitely know that the decline does not have to do with people realizing what the true meaning of Christmas is really about, because society has gotten more secular and throwing God out of their lives, while introducing secular ideas into society and normalizing it. So the decline in shoppers in malls has nothing to do with people realizing the true meaning of Christmas. 

There are more people on earth now. More people making more money. More products and technologies being invented and sold. But are we more happy as a society? I don't see it. I see people killing each other everyday over stupid things. Mothers and fathers abusing each other or their own family, or killing each other. More road rage incidents because people are impatient over the little things. People fighting, or killing, each other during Black Friday sales. What? Overall, people are just "so busy" that they don't have patience anymore, resulting in violent behaviour.

Can we blame God for all this? No. I blame our sin, I blame our imperfections. I blame ourselves for what we have thrown upon ourselves. We are our own devils. We created the monsters we see right in front of us. Even animals have more compassion than we do. And God gave us dominance over animals. Have we as a society become worse than animals? Have we gotten ourselves so low to that point? Because of our selfishness? 

This is off the tracks a bit, but I was talking to my folks the other day about happiness and what it meant. And they told me a true story about their car mechanic. 

The car mechanic has a customer, a very wealthy one, who will come in with different cars every year (or more frequently) for servicing. At first, the mechanic thought, well maybe he just didn't like the first car or something was wrong with it. But it became a pattern that he would bring in a new car every time he saw him. By the way, this customer is in his 20's.

One day, the mechanic asked the young guy why he was bringing in so many different cars every time he saw him. That cars are a terrible investment, and he's still young, so why was he spending all this money on these cars.

The young guy replied: If I don't spend this money, my dad will just take it and spend it on his mistress.

Is this true definition of happiness? He may be rich from dad's company, but he isn't rich at all. Not in the aspect of family. In fact, this guy is so broken inside. Emotionally he is ruined. Materialistically, he is thriving. Material things are only temporary, but emotions are forever. 

When I heard that story, it really made me think: How many of these young people on social media, who flaunt their riches, are really rich? Emotionally rich and spiritually rich? They hide behind a screen all day, trying to show they are happy, when they really could be hiding their darkest secrets. We may see these entitled kids flaunting their assets, but are they truly happy? 

You can have all the money in the world to buy whatever you like, but it only brings temporary happiness. Especially if you are truly broken inside.

I'm by no means rich materialistically. I work almost everyday, barely have time for myself, try to spend as much time with family and friends. I save to buy things that supposedly make me happy. But I know it doesn't bring me happiness forever. It's only temporary.

Take for example. I buy a cat-themed Chanel bag. Cost an arm and a leg, and required me to work like a dog almost everyday. Although the inspiration came from my love for cats, and definitely a memory for M, I'm still broken inside, and I admit it. People on the outside will think I'm some rich lady, who has nothing better to do except to buy expensive handbags to show off to the world. I'll get blasted for wasting my money instead of feeding the world.

Does the bag bring me happiness? I was happy I was able to attain the bag and have a unique one, yes. But has it made me happy? No. It has only brought me temporary happiness. Temporary escape from my struggle with guilt and death. It's like a drug. You escape from reality for a moment, but after it runs out, you are back to reality.

And that's where I'm at. Reality. The reality that guilt still eats away at me. The guilt of not being able to save M. The guilt that M is not here. The sadness I feel when I lose a loved one. The emptiness that I feel. I'm so guilt driven, that I don't love myself. And this is a constant battle and a work in progress. I haven't had the time for myself to reflect, to accept everything in order to not feel guilty. I've tried to focus on other things, thinking eventually it will all be ok. But I haven't solved the base issue yet. Because of time. 

Which is why I also know that my priority is family and time. The time I spend with family is little compared to when I'm at work. In the long term, that's how life is. We work long hours and spend less time at home. To me, it's about time and family. That's what brings me happiness and joy. 

You can own all the things in this world, but if you don't have family, or loved ones who truly care, then you aren't truly happy. You also need to love yourself first before you can be truly happy. Don't forget joy. Joy comes when you discover faith, and joy is what we all should be aiming for. A combination of happiness and joy is the most powerful relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.