Saturday, January 14, 2017

Random

Greetings all.

It's been a while since my last post. Been busy working like a dog with no life, so to speak. A lot of things have happened since. It's hard to figure out where to begin!

The shooting at Ft Lauderdale came to a shock to the world. What kind of person would do such a thing?

Then the two words flashed into every headline in the world: mental illness.

It's sad and scary how a person can just open fire into the baggage claim area of the airport, with no security around. The airport is a popular one, with many travellers heading there to take part in cruises. I have been there before, but I vaguely remember the baggage claim area since I never check in my luggage. Because I'm too cheap to pay for checked in luggage.

I do remember Orlando's international airport. There is the area where you pick up baggage, and then head towards the exit where all the taxis and car rental places are. That area is also open as well to anyone who can just park on the side of the road and walk in. It's not heavily guarded. Same with LAX. I remember walking through the baggage claim area, and the exit to go outside was just there. Anyone who was outside waiting can just walk into the baggage claim area. I don't recall seeing any security either.

Toronto's international airport is a bit different. Once you claim your baggage, you still have to pass through security before you head outside to meet your loved ones or catch a taxi. There is also frosted glass to prevent outsiders from looking inside, and there is always someone there watching the doors so no one can just walk in.

I don't know if it's just poor architecture design, or just poor security/flaws. Maybe it's different in the USA versus Canada and elsewhere. Considering all the shootings that are happening in the States, they might as well bring in an army team to guard each airport.

It is sad that this event had to happen. It is unfortunate that it had to take someone suffering from PTSD to act out, and claim innocent lives before the nation realizes that there is a security flaw in airports. It is very sad.

The suspect is a 26 year old who already has a family of his own, and who has gone to serve the country in Iraq. He has been through and seen friends being injured or killed in the line of duty. Looking at his history, he started at a very young age (when I calculate), about 18-19 years old when he started serving for the military. It was after seeing a bomb being detonated near 2 friends that his life changed forever.

When he sought counselling for PTSD, the military had helped to some extent. However, once he was discharged from the military, he was pretty much on his own. His family tried to help him seek counselling for his illness. He even sought help from the FBI. Yet no one was able to help him.

Eventually, something in his mind triggered him to do this act. Part of it is like he just gave up trying and wanted attention. But part of it is because he really does have this debilitating illness that he can't get rid of. There was no out for him.

People who work everyday here in the city won't be experiencing what this young man went through. They won't be seeing their loved ones going into combat, seeing their friends get bombed away, or watching them die right in front of them. Not like what he went through, or what other soldiers had to go through. To experience it first hand, I can imagine it being very traumatic.

I'm not saying to blame the illness, or blame the military for not helping. Mental illness treatment is a huge issue across the nation. People have no idea how to deal with someone going through mental illness. The fastest way to subdue them is give them sleeping pills or shock them until they hit the ground. Then once they are restrained, that's when they start to try and fix the problem. But they don't. Fixing problems by subduing patients does not FIX the problem. It only puts a bandaid on top of the problem, but there is still no solution!

It has become a national crisis when it comes to dealing with mental illness. Emergency departments are dealing with violent encounters with those suffering from mental illness, resulting in high rates of hospitalizations. But are the symptoms treated? Not really. Medications can help temporarily, but if the patient is discharged home, how do you guarantee that they will take their medications as directed, in order to keep them sane? You can't just give them a script, say goodbye and wish them all the best.

What they need is the support. The support that someone will be looking out for them to make sure they do what they are directed to do, to point them in the right direction. To keep encouraging them that they are doing good, that you'll be there for them. To remind them that it's important to take medications to help them (to deal with the imbalances). I don't really believe medications are the only way to "fix" the problem. To me, medications are merely just a bandaid. Some can fix the problem, but there is always an underlying issue that still needs to be fixed that medications can't fix. Medications will always have side effects.

What's the solution? More support. But with more support comes more funding. The country can put all the money into mental illness as a whole, but if they don't put funding in the proper areas which doesn't fix the underlying issues, then of course it's just going to be a waste.

This young man needs proper treatment to help him heal after what he's been through. A life sentence or death penalty will not cure his problem. He needs support and help to fight off these negative thoughts. Of course it won't bring back those he slaughtered. And again, it's unfortunate that they had to die in the hands of him, not knowing what was happening. But to punish him in front of the nation by putting him away in jail or giving him the death penalty is not going to paint a positive picture in the mental illness community. What they are doing is relating mental illness to crimes, and that if you lose "control" of your mental illness and commit a crime, then you'll end up in jail. That's your punishment for having a mental illness.

If we are to help those suffering, we need to fix the cracks in the system/infrastructure. Many fall through the system and then end up suffering because of it.

Rest in peace to those who died. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

In other updates, I had to return my Charlotte Olympia kitty flats. Not because there was something wrong with it, but because I had to pay my car bill XD. They were also maybe half a size too small. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get them again. It definitely isn't something I need at this point (or ever), but it would be nice to have one day again.

Speaking of which, Yorkdale's new underground parking garage (near Nordstrom) is HUGE! Got lost completely. I kept driving in circles, trying to find where to park. It's free, so no need to pay for parking to shop. It's a good idea to remember where you parked, because it's a bit confusing, and there are various entry and exit points into the garage. Unfortunately they ran out of those cards that help you find your car if you ever get lost. Thankfully I found a spot close to the elevators so there was not too much memorizing to do.

I went inside and saw a HUGE line up outside of Canada Goose store. It wrapped around the store. I don't get the hype that goes on with Canada Goose. Was there a sale? Nah, those things never go on sale. So I have no clue why the line up was so big. Every time I see someone wear a Canada Goose jacket, I always think of that one time I went clubbing with my girlfriends. And there was this white dude wearing a Canada Goose jacket INSIDE THE CLUB. It was November so it was cold but not super cold.

This guy was just dancing on the platform above us, in his Canada Goose jacket. We were right below, and I felt this hand on my head. I turned around and it was the CG guy trying to get my attention. WEIRD. Who the hell tries to pat a girl's head in a club wearing a CG jacket?! To get her attention? LOL it was so awkward but the funniest thing I've ever encountered at a club. I still laugh about it many years later. Props to CG guy wearing his winter jacket in a humid club.

Speaking of clubs, I haven't been to a club in ages. I feel sort of old for those type of things nowadays. The blasting music will probably make me go deaf very fast. The alcohol will make me pass out within 2 minutes. My heels will kill my feet (along with the other random people stepping on you). But the people. Gosh. Never know who you deal with in a club. People can be obnoxious, or just plain scary.

My sis in law got me an adult colouring book lately. Now that's pretty cool. Never knew they had an adult colouring book. It's suppose to help when you're stressed or just need a break from everyday stressors. Colouring apparently helps. So that's what I've been trying to do when I'm stressed and need time for myself. I colour. It's been slowly helping with my random breakdowns here and there. I guess it's somewhat improving, as long as I don't think about the past, or have arguments with people. I find when I have less of that, my symptoms decrease slightly.

In other exciting news, I think I've found the perfect bag for mama. It's by Fendi, and since she's never owned such a bag before, I figured it would be the perfect gift for her birthday, or mother's day. I haven't yet decided which. But I've been doing research to find out more information, and I believe she would like the style. She knows of Prada, but doesn't like their styles. Same with Chanel, and Louis Vuitton. Hopefully Fendi will break her into the world of designer handbags!

Alright my brain is turning into mush. Will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.