Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Tax Season?!

You know time is going by so fast when it's tax season. Yes, it's that time again.

Obviously I won't reveal much about my salary and taxes, but at least it's done. It's a pain trying to find all the paperwork and get it together. Which sort of brings me to another topic.

I recently had a conversation with mom about donations and what not, since those add up to charitable deductions. I don't mind donating to organizations, but there are times you wonder, is my the money really going towards something good, or just to the pockets of the CEOs and the workers who help run the organization?

A lot of times, companies will issue receipts for income tax purposes, but there are some that don't. One notable one is the Toronto Humane Society. Every year, we make a donation to them, and every year we ask for a receipt. Every year, we NEVER have gotten a receipt. If you remember, there was an investigation into the organization about where the funds really go: into the pocket of the CEO. There was a huge backlash. Nowadays I don't know how they're doing but we halted donations to them because they never gave us any receipt as proof that we did donate.

Hence why when people ask, well if you can afford this and that, why don't you donate to the poor or to help animals or something? Yeah, we do but when companies don't do their part in issuing receipts to the donors, then that's a big problem when it comes to my taxes. It's not that I don't want to donate, but it's the big players who don't do their part in doing this the legal way. And then it screws me and every other hard working person out there who do take the time to donate, but can't get a proper tax deduction, thus it screws with how much is returned back to us.

This led to a conversation about waiters and waitresses. Yes, my conversations are never linear. I used to have this perception that waiters are uneducated people who couldn't find work except to collect dishes for a living. Or that they weren't good enough for a "real" job because they would get minimum wage, and rely on tips.

Maybe that was the perception a long time ago. Except we have to look at the current situation. Look at the housing market. The average single detached home is close to $1 million. Even someone who makes 100k a year is going to have a tough time paying that mortgage. Everything (and I mean everything from clothes to groceries to fuel) has skyrocketed. Everything EXCEPT our wages. Don't we all wish we had a 100% pay raise at our jobs?

The way I look at it now is your waiter may have a Masters or PhD degree in a specialized field, yet works the odd hours at a restaurant to make ends meet. They may already have an established career, but take on extra work to make extra side money. Perhaps they have a family to feed, or they're a single parent. And probably have to pay rent or mortgage on top of that, along with their monthly bills. Or perhaps, this is their third job trying to make ends meet.

You just never know.

Plus, waiters and waitresses need to have a mind of a machine. Trying to remember the little details when they're trying to deliver food, and one table requires a spoon, while another requires a beer. Then balancing all these dishes in one go. It's not an easy job. It requires the utmost patience, killer memory and people centred attitude, as well as social skills. Yet it's a minimum wage job.

If you asked me to do it, I would probably fail at it because my memory sucks. Plus I'm terrible at balancing things on my hands and arms. I would not qualify to be a waitress.

Some countries do not tip workers because it's not their policy to do so, whereas some places like North America rely on tips for extra cash. There are some assholes who will not tip because their waiters were not attentive during the night. Keep in mind that not everyone will be an expert at waitressing or waitering because perhaps it's their first day? Did you ever think of that? It's a learning experience.

I obviously look at things with compassion (most of the time) and I see people just like me who are working hard to climb up the ladder, or perhaps just working to survive. It's as basic as just living. I don't go out very often anymore, but now that I've at least established myself a bit more, I make sure to give generous tips to those who attend to me or friends for the night.

In Asian culture, it's pretty good if you tip 10%. In non-Asian restaurants, it's common that you go 13-18%. I'm not in the end of the Asian tipping but I do go higher, especially if they are working a weekend because hey, you could be at home with your kids or family but you're here feeding me instead. So of course, I'll tip more because of that. I may not be able to solve all the problems, but at least in one day it would hopefully help towards some contribution.

To me, I rather do this than donate huge portions of my salary to big corporations because I rather focus on those who are on the "same line" so to speak in terms of working. We all know what it's like to work like a dog and try to feed family. We all work hard for ourselves and our families. And that's where I'd like to focus. We focus on each other and help each other out. Not big corporations who already have millions for research.

To each their own though. I can't tell you what to do with your money. You can donate it to big corporations if you like. But I rather stay within the same line of helping fellow families out, someone that I can relate to, versus a corporation with a CEO who makes 10x more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.