Sunday, December 20, 2015

Chanel Experience/Reveal

I first fell in love with the classic medium double flap over a year ago. But as the price increased to ridiculous amounts, I just couldn't justify dropping a huge amount over what I could've bought 100 reasonable purses for that amount of money.

As the months went by, my focus shifted from a double flap to something more miniature. It is called the wallet on chain (or WOC for short). The WOC is basically what it is: a wallet with a long chain attached to it. They do try to make enough space so you can fit your essentials inside, but you won't be able to fit your entire life inside it. I'm used to carrying a lot of things with me, both necessary and unnecessary items, so this is like downgrading from a mansion to a rental room, so to speak.

There are a lot of companies out there that make WOC. For example, YSL, Gucci, Prada (on the luxury end) and Coach, Kate Spade, Tory Burch (on the contemporary end), so there are a variety of choices and styles to choose from. It all really depends what you want in terms of style and material. And also what fits your budget.

Unfortunately, with Chanel's ridiculous price increases ever so often on purses, the WOCs are also affected by the price adjustment. Seasonal pieces come and go but the classics will always be classics.

I fell in love with the classic piece. There are a few in the classic line, but the most common one was the caviar leather with the small CCs up front by the button closure. To me, that was what everyone had if they had to have a WOC. You can match it with any wardrobe, from casual to elegant nights out. I wanted something classic but a bit different than the rest. Something different but fun in a chic way.

As soon as I saw a picture of it on the website, I knew I had to get it. And I aimed for many months for that goal.

Unfortunately with M's passing, I had to put a halt to it. I actually forgot about it completely for a while because I was so preoccupied with his loss. After some time had passed, I tried to refocus and aim for that goal. It was unsettling, because this would be my first WOC purchased without him being here. Because of that, this is how I will remember this piece, and it will forever have a place in my heart.

Yorkdale's Chanel had 2 WOCs in stock in the style that I wanted. Unfortunately as I took my time to figure out whether to wait or not, one got sold. Now there was one left. I figured it is the Christmas rush, and who knows when the price is going up again. Who knows when they will get another stock in, as these WOCs only come in limited amounts.

The SA (Keisha) took her time with me, and let me try out all the WOCs and different styles that I was debating. I was really stuck between 2 classics, but the ultimate decision was how it would look on me. She was really patient with me and allowed me all the time in the world to try it out, and then gave me time to decide. She gave me her card and if I was ready, to give her a call.

That same day, I decided to go for it. It was purchased roughly around the same anniversary date as when we took M home 18 years ago.

Ladies and gentleman, this is my reveal. This is in memory of M.

The famous black bag that it comes in.

 (Don't mind the terrible ribbon wrap. I had to unwrap it first to make sure everything was there before retying it)
Another view of the box wrapped up.

Up close of the beautiful Camellia flower. Usually it's in white, but maybe it's the Christmas season, so this one came in silver. Again, I like how it's different than the rest. It just makes it more memorable.


After the ribbon was removed, it's just a plain black box. I ended up sticking the Camellia on the front.

The package that it comes in: care cards, receipt with its own envelope, and dustbag.

Here is the WOC wrapped in the dust bag. It's a nice, soft velvet-like material. Very nicely done.

Ok, the moment of truth....

...................
.............
........
....
..
.

Here it is.

I wish there was a specific name for it, but from what the site says, it is called the WOC in quilted calfskin with a long chain, as part of the Cambon style. This is the front view. It is not a puffy material like the lambskin, nor does it feel that delicate. It has a matte finish to it, but it is smooth and has a nice touch to it. The front CC is in patent leather, so it does have a shine to it. The CC logo is off to one side, half cut off, unlike the other classic ones with the CC in the middle. It looks weird in pictures, but in person I fell in love with it. I'll include more info at the end of this entry.

The back view. The Cambon WOC does not come with a back pocket, like the other classics. As much as I wanted a back pocket, it was a small sacrifice I could live with. As what SA said, Chanel tries to vary their WOCs. So not all WOCs will have back pockets.

This is a side shot. Hard to see all details but you can tell it's not very wide. You can either carry this as a small bag, or put the chains inside and make it a clutch or use it as an actual wallet. 

An overview of the inside. This is what made me fall for this WOC. Because the interior is a bright pink. The classics come in a signature burgundy or sometimes even black interior. But I wanted something different. Not all WOCs will have the same interior colour.

The flap shot. So there is a zipper compartment that goes all the way down to the end of the purse. Some people put money in there, or their authenticity card, or some important documents. To me, it just feels it's too much work to put stuff in there. Most likely it will remain empty. I haven't thought of what to do with it yet.



There are 3 separate compartments aside from the card slot holders. There are 6 card holders, along with a main compartment to put your phone, keys, lip stick, make up, perfume or whatever small essentials you may carry. 2 open compartments can be used for flat storage. The third is a zipper compartment where you can put coins and bills inside.

Up close view of the zipper.

My attempt at making a heart with the long chain. Failed pretty bad, but I'll try again in the future. Beside it is the authenticity card and care card.

As you can tell, the chain is long but there are many ways to wear this WOC. This is just one way. Similar to a double flap bag. 

The CC in patent leather.

So just a summary of the information:

Name: Wallet on Chain in quilted calfskin leather
Collection: Cambon
Theme: Signature
Size: 19cm (length) X 12.5cm (height) X 3.5cm (width) 
Made in: France
Hardware: Silver
Closure: Snap closure button
Exterior: Calfskin leather with patent leather on the CC logo. No back pocket. Long leather chain intertwined with silver hardware, non-detachable.
Interior: 6 card holders, 1 main compartment, 2 flat compartments, 1 zipper coin compartment, 1 zipper deep compartment
Ways to wear: cross-body, over the shoulder (long chain), over the shoulder (double short chain), clutch (chain inside)

Thanks for reading. And if you are reading this M, just know that you are non-replaceable. Nothing in this world can replace you, and nothing in this world can bring you back to me. A bag will not bring you back, but it will serve as a reminder that you are always by my side, wherever I go. You will forever be in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.