10 years ago if I were to attend a car meet and saw a GT3RS, I would drool all over the floor. It wasn't something I would see very often. Even more rare are the PTS colours. I'd probably stand and continue to gawk at one until the sun sets.
Nowadays, I see them way too often. It's come to the point that they're not as exclusive as I thought they should be. Perhaps there are way more clients now with a lot of disposable income that can afford to buy the car, and that's great too. That means more people are achieving their dream goals.
I still think they're amazing cars with great engineering. You can throw it around and it wouldn't break. It was meant for the tracks, not for going to the grocery store to fulfill your weekly shopping. But why is it that I don't have much appeal to get one?
Well, unless you can relate to this, then you probably won't understand completely why.
Number one, it is a lot of money. No one makes over half a million dollars in their jobs in one year. Sure, you can have plenty of investments on the side which would definitely help, but I'm talking about a normal 9-5 job. Realistically, it just doesn't make sense if you're doing a normal 9-5 job. Even if you put down a deposit or money down, it doesn't make sense to pay 5-6K a month in car payments. That's just...suicide.
Second, unless you've had some sort of spinal surgery done on you, you probably would not understand the challenges it takes to get into a GT3RS, but also OUT of the vehicle.
Years ago I had an opportunity to sit in one. Sit is an understatement. I FELL into the seat, ass first of course. Comfort wise, it was not comfortable. These are racing bucket seats we are talking about. Great for the tracks, horrible for everyday traffic like Toronto. If you have existing spinal issues, it would kill your back. If you have any pre-existing spinal compression issues happening, then the GT3RS will compress it even more for you.
Getting out of the RS was also another challenge in itself. You literally have to climb out of it. There is a way to scoot over and sit by the edge, while placing your left hand on the bottom sill, then pushing yourself out. But unless you build a strong core, you might as well just roll out of the car. You've probably seen that video of the older gentleman climbing out of the Lambo, hands first type of thing. Yeah, that's exactly how I felt getting out of the RS. And I'm not even of retirement age yet. I may look young, but internally, I feel 90.
In this situation, I had to ask someone to help me get out of the RS because it was just that painful. Now why would I spend half a million dollars on a car that's 1) not comfortable to sit in and 2) makes it such a nightmare to climb in and out of, especially after spinal surgery? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Now this was all before the surgery. Post surgery, I have not attempted to sit in anyone's RS due to the fear of re-herniating myself. Nor sat in any very low cars (Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren etc). I thought the Cayman in stock was low enough and I still struggle with it. I had to ask the shop to raise my coilovers on the Genesis because it was lower than the Cayman.
Lastly, there isn't a proper frunk or trunk in a RS. This girl has many things to put away and with a lack of space, RS isn't just feasible.
Yes, I'm totally justifying my reasons. I don't have to, but I choose to.
As much as I would love to get into something higher (eg a Macan), the 981S generation has been so well built, it would be a downgrade for me to trade it in for a Macan. I would most likely regret selling it off. The other day I was checking Autotrader to see if I could find anything from this generation and nothing was popping up.
I still have many more happy miles (or kms) to build with the Cayman. If there's anything that's close to a racecar on a normal day, the Cayman does its job quite well. A detuned 911 engine, in a mid-engine set up? You don't understand how well-balanced this car is and the capability of it.
Overall, I'm just fortunate enough to even own anything Porsche in this lifetime. Unlike some people who want to build a rapport with the dealerships, just so they can get an allocation for a RS, I could care less about that because I'm not dying for a RS or anything GT. I'm not locking myself up with non stop car payments over decades because I was told 'no, you can't get this because you didn't buy enough cars' (unlike some people I know, who are still doing that and didn't get what they wanted, because they can't handle 'no' for an answer). Whatever happened to just being happy with what you have?
Cheers to those who have gotten their allocation and dream built of their cars. It's truly a journey to go through and it would be cool to experience it once in this life time, but will I die if I don't get to experience it? No. I've got other things to worry about that this doesn't bother me.
In the meantime, cheers to those who enjoy whatever Porsches they have right now because as I said previously, we are the lucky few who are fortunate to even get our hands on one. Drive it, enjoy it, make lots of memories with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.